Sunday, November 3, 2013

Thoughts on We

The novel overall was quite an interesting read. I had read several similar novels such as "The Giver" and "The Handmaid's Tale" later on. The popularity of these Dystopian novels seems to be increasing. I think that the historical argument for the book is what separates it from many similar novels. Being that "We" is a warning against another Communist Russia-like society, Zamyatin shows the full extent of what happens when a government removes its people's freedoms. The author's use of the dual personality throughout the second half of the novel also separates it from similar books. D-503 is in a constant battle between his rational OneState self, and his irrational more human self. From reading similar novels, it wasn't hard to predict the ending of this one. Almost all Dystopian texts end with the society either falling due to rebellion, or about to fall. In addition, the people living outside the wall puzzled me. It was an element of mystery in a very predictable, yet gripping text. I found myself wondering who they were, where they had come from, and why they differed so greatly from those inside the wall, and from those in our society today. Lastly, the ending left me wanting to read a sequel, which for me is a significant point in whether or not I enjoyed a book. If one is left wanting to read more about a book, then that is a good indicator that it was an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment